Yragui Urges Fellow Residents to Band Together

K-Beach resident and flooding victim Dave Yragui has issued a letter asking fellow residents to join him as a way to push the borough into action.

As we previously reported, Yragui has hired both an experienced Alaskan hydrogeologist to study the situation and an attorney for guidance, through which he issued a letter to the borough with proposals as to what might be done in regards to the flooding.

Borough Mayor Mike Navarre addressed the letter in the July 1 assembly meeting.

Navarre: “We did receive a letter from Mr. Yragui’s attorney that is threatening potential lawsuit if the borough doesn’t take prescribed action that they’ve requested, and we do not agree with some of the information in the letter and we are preparing a response but because it is from an attorney we are going to not distribute it to the assembly until we figure out what our appropriate response is going to be.”

In a new letter by Yragui circulating he states, “I did not file a lawsuit against the borough. I hired an attorney because I believe the inaction we have experienced will ultimately result in the decimation of hundreds of homes. We believe a class action lawsuit may be the only thing that will motivate this administration into fulfilling their obligations of being in service to the taxpayers.”

He and his lawyer said they prefer not to go on record due to the situation however asked that anyone who has had flooding issues on Gaswell Rd, Poppy Lane, or Murwood subdivision off of K-Beach to email him at redoubt@alaska.net and to include their name, address, phone number, and email address along with any damages incurred by the flooding.

Categories: News

About Author

Comments

1. john 17 July, 2014, 21:28

Yragui is the one who tried to profit from developing in a wetlands, if his development is causing wider area problems, the class action lawsuit should be brought against Yragui, he’s the one who is developing in the wetlands.

If you’re incompetent enough to build in a wetlands floodplain, you don’t get any public money to bail you out for your own ineptness.

Yragui needs to take personal responsibility for his own actions, the borough shouldn’t be using public funds to bail him out of a problem of his own making. He tried to profit from developing in a designated wetlands floodplain, his plan was a failure, it’s not the public’s responsibility to fix his failed plans.

2. It's a Good Thing 18 July, 2014, 07:34

Okay, I take it you want to blame Yuragui, fine. Now let’s move on to the hundreds of other people that are having flooding problems. They need help now! You can deal with blame latter, if you have the evidence, prove it in court. Now is the time to help our neighbors.

3. Jason 18 July, 2014, 11:48

I’m actually going to side with john on this one. That whole area is saturated in water and has been. I do agree that some people should recieve help and that it is the right thing to do in some cases, but if someone ( especially a supposed developer ) purchases property in any sort of flood plane they should be aware of the problems that could arise. Seems like he doesn’t want to pay for his own poor choice.

4. Julie 18 July, 2014, 19:56

I’m thinking he inherited that property if I remember right.

5. john 18 July, 2014, 20:04

Do I have evidence? Yes, I do. Look at the Yragui property development and then look at the wetlands mapping.

The development was built in a wetlands.

Build in a floodplain, expect flooding. Build a development in a floodplain that disrupts drainage for the wider area, expect to bear the costs for the damage you caused.

Public money shouldn’t pay for the risks associated with private profit seeking. If a private business concern needs bailed out, let them buy insurance or self insure. Public funds aren’t there to alleviate private business risk.

The borough wasn’t formed to act as a pass through mechanism for handing out public money to bail out people who build in wetland floodplains.

6. dave 21 July, 2014, 08:55

Thank you for your comments John, Your comments are lacking the facts in all areas. We are not asking the borough for money. We are asking them to follow their own rules. The wetland mapping produced by the borough is inaccurate. If you are interested in the facts then call me. Otherwise have a great day! I did develop the property and I’m guessing that your informed enough to know my number.

7. john 21 July, 2014, 10:31

Why would I want to call you, I do my best to avoid people who expect government to bail them out for their own incompetence.

8. dave 22 July, 2014, 07:09

Thanks John.
    You seem a little bitter about life, with a somewhat dull ax to grind. I do not exspect the goverment to bail me out. I exspect them to lead during a crisis. If not, then get out of the way. Many people will suffer damage this fall due to flooding. You don’t seem to have a plan or any solutions, just negative chatter. It would be really helpfull if you could think just a little outside the bottle, and get on board. If your not willing to even get your facts straight, then I cannot waste anymore time with you.

9. Jason 22 July, 2014, 22:16

Dave, if the mapping provided by the borough was in fact flawed then I apologize.

10. Justin 25 July, 2014, 20:33

John, let me guess…. Your either related to Navarre or infatuated with his arrogance. Yours and his gene pools will hopefully end with the both of you. You were more than likely under his desk while typing this, I can’t come to any other conclusion. Where has common sense gone? Of course Navarre is going to say this has all come about for Daves personal gain… He has a personal vendetta against him! The platting maps were skewed, rest assured it will come out very shortly. Is Dave the only one being affected by the waters? No, but it’s only him and a few others who are making a stand of what is right. Keep tagging along behind your pathetic mayor. See where it gets you…

11. Jon B. 26 July, 2014, 21:31

John, I agree you shouldn’t build in a wetland flood plain, but it’s not always obvious. That land was dry for many years and to think 1 person could cause all this flooding is not thinking at all. The problem is the borough will not let land owners do what’s necessary to protect their property and at the same time collect taxes and refuse to maintain the right of ways and roads that is clearly their responsibility. I truly feel sorry for the people that believe the government is here to help them in any way. If your waiting for them you’ll be waiting a long time. Dave, you might want to check out other articles that don’t involve you and the comments on the other news sites involving this issue and you’ll soon see a hand full of people have nothing better to do than comment on every article and have no other information than what’s printed to base their comments on. “Think outside the bottle” Really? I don’t think you want to go there.

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*