Troopers Tracking Brown Bears on K Beach

Posted: June 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Troopers ask that local residents do not call law enforcement about Brown Bears on K-Beach, unless the bears are causing physical harm to property or animals.

Soldotna Troopers are currently aware of a mama Brown Bear and three cubs (2 or 3 year olds) in the K Beach area, rummaging through trash.

They urge local residents to take care of all outside garbage and barbecues, to eliminate any smells which may attract the four bears.

The bears are currently between Murwood and Gaswell. Troopers say they do not want to have to shoot the bears, and ask homeowners to stay clear of the animals and clean their areas as thoroughly as possible.

Do not call Troopers unless the bears are attacking people, animals, or are trying to break into houses. The local post has been flooded with calls from anxious residents.

10 Comments to “Troopers Tracking Brown Bears on K Beach”

• Gail says:

I hope the police don’t shoot the bears!!!! People need to keep all trash inside as well as pets. The bears won’t come around if they don’t smell your trash!!!!! I had the horrible experience of watching a mama bear and her three tiny babies shot over here in VIP subdivision a couple years ago. The trash bins at the apartments on Pirate Lane as well as the ones all around we’re overflowing with garbage which is what drew them here. I think apartment owners and dwellers should be fined heavily if this happens again!!!

• Melissa says:

I agree with Gail, wholeheartedly!! When I was living in an apartment in Kenai the neighbors constantly let their trash get all over the place, rather than in the dumpster. I was always cleaning it up in hopes to keep the bears away and the neighborhood children safe.

• Mary says:

I totally agree with you Gail. If any of these bears have to be shot because of laziness and stupidity of the people, then they should be fined. There is always that small percent of people who just do not care, they can’t even clean the inside of their home let alone the outside.

• Donna. Tomlinson says:

Anyone leaving trash out should have their address photographed a given a hefty fine during this time of the year. If is apartments then the owners and/or management company should be fined. Tenants should also held responsible. Wild animals should not be have to be shot due to human neglect.

• Dust says:

The recent increase in brown bear sightings is a clear indication that the decision by the Department of Fish and Game to change the regulations to allow the taking of brown bear on the peninsula a good decision. I myself think this will help the moose population and will keep the brown bear out of the neighborhoods. When September 1st gets here I for one will do my duty and go look for a brown bear to thin out the population on the Kenai, and I hope that everyone else does the same.

• john says:

I hope the Trooper shoot them all. When I was young I used to eat moose meat, now chicken or beef, but great bear viewing all summer.

• Lindsey says:

This is for Gail and all her supporters…I have the bears in my neighborhood. On my deck last night, the neighbors backyard the night before and just down the road tonight. Guess what? None of us have our “trash” out like you assume must come from living in an apartment. We just happen to live on the verge of the woods and happen to be in their travel path. But if my kids are outside and those bears show up and pose a danger, I guarantee to they will be shot and it will have nothing to do with my garbage. Shame on you for shooting your mouth off about something you obviously know nothing about.

• Louis says:

Not to mention there are other ways to get rid of bears besides killing them. Rubber bullets, pepper spray, there are several methods they commonly use. Instead of taking any of these actions, the troopers just flat out said “don’t call the police”. They went the extreme opposite direction – for some reason people think there are only two absolutes when dealing with wildlife – either kill them or let them be and kill an actual human – this just isn’t the case – if I see a bear around my home I will certainly be calling

• Joanna says:

Thank you Louis for your wise comments on dealing with wildlife. Killing is not the only way to “get rid of” unwanted wildlife. I don’t like bears around my house and it does really freak me out but I live in bear country so I realize that I will have to be freaked out at times. Shame on those that want the bears dead. It’s an attitude…one thinks that a bear is only “game” or if you view them as “wildlife”. Sadly most of Alaska follows the “game” viewpoint…hence the title of Alaska’s Department of Fish and GAME. Notice it’s not the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Perhaps it’s time for a change.