State Says Some Workers Could Qualify for Unemployment Insurance Refund

The Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development says that certain workers throughout the State of Alaska may be eligible for an unemployment insurance tax refund if they worked for more than one employer during 2012.

Workers who paid more than a total of $236.28 in unemployment insurance tax during 2012 because they worked for more than one Alaska employer may apply for a refund for anything paid over that amount.

Refund request forms, with proof of earnings, must be submitted by Dec. 31 of the year following the year in which deductions were made. Those claiming a refund for 2012 have until Dec. 31, 2013 to apply.

Unemployment insurance taxes paid by workers may be listed on W-2 forms or on pay stubs. Workers can also contact their employers for the information.

The refund form is available online or can be requested by mail from the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Employment Security Tax Office, P.O. Box 115509, Juneau, AK 99811-5509.

Instructions for the form are also available online.

Categories: News

About Author