Soldotna Man Arrested For Truck Protest

Posted: July 31, 2013 at 12:01 pm

The Soldotna Police, Monday morning at 8:50am, responded to the intersection of Kobuk and Marydale ave. Sgt. Duane Kant with the SPD told us that the call was related to a Soldotna resident who has been outspoken about the amount of commercial truck traffic along Kobuck…

Sgt. Kant : “We received the report of a male lying in the roadway, blocking traffic at the intersection of Kobuk St. and Marydale Ave. Upon arrival of the officers, they found Paul Zobeck lying in the roadway in front of a semi-tractor trailer at the intersection. Investigation lead to Mr. Zobeck being arrested for disorderly conduct.”

Zobek has had the protest signs up at his residence at the corner of Kobuk and Marydale for a large portion of the summer months.

8 Comments to “Soldotna Man Arrested For Truck Protest”

• Robbert Banks says:

Sign should read, “I went to Jail for disorderly conduct.”

• Mike says:

Well, there is a perfectly good highway that goes through Soldotna. I’d hate to have the damned things going through my neighborhood, making noise, scarring kids and tearing up the asphalt.

• Vicki says:

Unbelievable! I live across the street, I am up early for work. These trucks start as early as 6:30 am each day. This is a residential area, these trucks are nonstop all day up and down Kobuk. Usually one right after the other. Theses trucks should be using the main streets through Soldotna, not running back and forth through our neighborhood! We pay taxes, why can’t our local law enforcement do something besides arrest the neighborhood residents! Stop the big trucks!,

• Mark says:

Typical. Some people can do whatever they want, even if it is disruptive to the “life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness” of the common man. And when the man asks to get his liberty and pursuit of happiness back, people in authority do nothing. When he tries to right the wrong himself, since no one else will, he get arrested.

• Sam says:

I am an adjacent neighbor & I first saw the signs on Saturday. I talked to Mr. Zobeck for an extended period of time about this the day he put the signs up, and never once did he portray any precursors to disorderly conduct in regard to the protest of the continuous running of these belly dumps all summer long, through neighborhood after neighborhood…

• Josh says:

I cant believe this has been going on all summer, I have witnessed these trucks running through stop sign after stop sign. I also had Mr.Z as a teacher and a coach and can personally say he is a stand up guy. He is a very straight laced individual and from what I saw always played by the rules. This is the most radical thing I have seen from him, and I applaud it. Way to stand up for your community, shame it didnt return the favor.

• Linda says:

I applaud Paul for having the guts to go public with an issue that the Kobuk neighbors have been dealing with for quite a while. The signs first appeared on Saturday, unlike the trucks which have been present for the majority of the summer. The noise, dirt and safety issues are valid concerns. If the powers that be who have allowed the running of the belly dumpers think he is asking too much, they are more than welcome to spend a day at my home to see exactly what it is like to have these trucks running 10 – 12 hours a day.

• Steve Wright says: