Today’s oil, gas and geothermal lease sale brought in nearly $4.5 million in high bids. Bob Pawlowski, Legislative Adviser to the Division of Oil and Gas, said the response was outstanding…
Pawlowski: “Everybody, the Commissioner and Director Barron, are very pleased with it, what has turned out to be the third largest in value, with 2011 and 2012 being the first and second.”
Pawlowski noted one company stood out, though it’s only been very active in Alaska since January of 2012…
Pawlowski: “Hilcorp was the leader in taking 19 tracts of the 28 in the oil and gas leases.”
Bid information from the Division of Oil and Gas is listed below. Until the bids are adjudicated, lease sale results provided below will remain preliminary.
Cook Inlet areawide oil and gas lease sale
- 32 bids were received from seven bidding groups on 28 tracts, encompassing approximately 145,739 acres.
- Bidders included Hilcorp Alaska, Cook Inlet Energy, and NordAq Energy. Hilcorp was the most active bidder, winning 19 of the 28 tracts in the lease sale.
Augustine Island geothermal lease sale
- A single bid was received for one of the 26 tracts offered. The bidder was Nicholas van Wyck.
- This was the state’s first geothermal lease sale on Augustine Island. The division’s last geothermal lease sale was in 2008 on Mount Spurr.
Alaska Peninsula areawide oil and gas lease sale
- Similar to the past five years, tracts in this lease sale did not receive any bids.