Local Fire Departments Urging Not to Burn Wrapping Paper

Posted: December 26, 2012 at 6:00 am

After yesterday, many homes across the Kenai Peninsula will have a little excess wrapping paper around the house. Kenai Fire Chief Mike Tilly has a reminder about the proper way to dispose of the extra holiday paper.

 

Chief Tilly: “Your fireplaces are designed typically to burn wood, which burns very slow, in a controlled environment. Wrapping paper is very volatile  burns very fast, and it doesn’t look like much when you ball it all up and throw it in the fireplace. And then also, if you have an open fireplace, it has a tendency to expand, and could possibly push back out of the fireplace. Airtight fireplaces, obviously  you have a nice secure door that you can close things up, but those kind of stoves aren’t designed to burn a terrible amount of paper, they’re typically designed to burn something that burns slower and in a more controlled environment.”

Comments are closed.