Keep an Eye on That Turkey

Posted: November 27, 2013 at 12:10 pm

It’s safety first this Thanksgiving, and the State Fire Marshall’s office is warning that an unattended turkey can cause big trouble.

 

Mahlon Greene with the State Fire Marshall’s office said that cooking and heating-related incidents are the leading cause of residential structure fires in Alaska, accounting for almost 75% of the state’s total reported residential structure fires.

With the holidays approaching, warm, cozy homes and holiday feasts play a major role in our preparations for family gatherings.  Unsafe cooking during these holiday gatherings can increase the risk for fire.

 

Greene said that these fires can be prevented by simply following a few safety precautions….

Greene: “The biggest thing is, when you’re cooking, stay in the kitchen. Don’t go to other rooms, and if you have to go to another room, take something with you to remind you that you have the stove or you’re cooking something, like a wooden spoon or something out of the ordinary, that you carry with you so when you think, what am I doing with this, oh, I’m cooking.”

 

Greene said Alaskans should also pay particular attention while cooking, especially when using oils and grease.  Cooking appliances should be kept clean of food and grease build-up, and it’s always a good idea to use back burners when possible and keep pot handles turned to the inside so they won’t be pulled or knocked over..

Comments are closed.