The American Red Cross is connecting military personnel and their communities this Christmas, by providing the Holiday mail for Heroes Program.
Through the program, members of the public sign and send cards to military men and women and their families, thanking them for their service and wishing them a safe and happy holiday.
Sen. Begich(D-AK) added his support, encouraging Alaskans to take a few minutes to participate and thank troops for their service.
If you wish to participate, Please follow the guidelines outlined here. Some include:
- Ensure that all cards are signed.
- Use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Cards addressed to specific individuals can not be delivered through this program.
- Only cards are being accepted. Do not send or include letters.
- Do not include email or home addresses on the cards: the program is not meant to foster pen pal relationships.
- Do not include inserts of any kind, including photos: these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
- Please refrain from choosing cards with glitter or using loose glitter as it can aggravate health issues of ill and injured warriors.
- If you are mailing a large quantity of cards, please bundle them and place them in large mailing envelopes or flat rate postal shipping boxes. Each card does not need its own envelope, as envelopes will be removed from all cards before distribution.
Cards can be mailed to the address below…
Holiday Mail for Heroes
P.O. Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456